When you own a home, you want to make sure to protect it from the elements. One of the best ways to do this is to clean your gutters. Clean gutters help protect the home from water damage and other issues that can cause major damage to the exterior of your home. This blog explains why it is important to clean your gutters and why you may want to consider having them cleaned by professionals. The following explains the importance of regular gutter cleaning.
Why It’s Important to Clean Your Gutters
When your gutters are dirty and clogged, they can lead to serious problems on the outside of your home. One of the most common problems is that water can pool around the base of your house, which can cause leaks and cracks in the foundation over time. If this happens over the course of several years, it could lead to significant structural damage on your house. What’s more, you could also see mold growth inside or outside due to excess moisture around the foundation of your house if you fail to regularly and thoroughly clean gutters. Completely cleaning your gutters every year can help preserve your home and prevent damage to your gutters.
Signs it’s Time to Have Your Gutters Cleaned if you notice:
- Water pooling on your roof or splashing up against your windows. (This is usually caused by rainwater collecting in the gutters instead of draining away efficiently.)
- Discolored spots on your siding or staining on other surfaces near the gutters. These could signal that leaves or other debris are clogging up your gutters, which will eventually lead to leaks if left untreated.
- An increase in pests like rats and squirrels around the house. These small animals often use overflowing gutters as drinking water.
Benefits of Gutter Cleaning
- Protects siding
- Reduces the risk of ice dams which can undermine roof integrity
- Eliminates roof leaks resulting from standing water and damp leaves and debris
- Stops damage before it can seep into the home
- Reduces the risk of foundational damage resulting from standing water seeping down
- Stops garden overflow, which could damage foliage and flowers
- Reduces incidences of pest infestation
- Improved curb appeal
- Increases home value
The Gutter Cleaning Process
- The right tools
As professionals, we use the right tools for the job. We gather a trowel, ladder, buckets with wire hooks, a garden hose with a nozzle or gutter cleaning attachment, work gloves, latex gloves, and safety glasses.
- The right ladder
As we’ve discussed elsewhere on this website, it’s important to use the right tools, and this is never truer than where ladders are concerned. Safety first! We use a sturdy step ladder placed on solid, level ground whenever possible. We may use an extension ladder for a two-story home or commercial building.
- Remove debris.
We start near the downspout and remove leaves, twigs, and large debris, placing it in the bucket. We use a trowel to remove packed material and smaller debris.
- Flush gutters and downspouts
Once we remove large debris, we use a garden hose to wash out remaining dirt and grime. If the water doesn’t drain, we look for and eliminate clogs in the downspout.
If you’re ready to hire a pro to handle your gutters before the rainy season starts, give us a call today!
About Elliott Window Cleaning in Meridian, Idaho
We established Elliott Window Cleaning in 2019. But our history runs much deeper. In fact, this family owned, and operated business began in Hood River, Oregon in 1984, where Monty Elliott learned the window cleaning trade from his father. Over the years, Monty has always washed windows – whether it was on the side or as a full-time business. In 2019, Monty and his oldest son, Cody, decided to begin serving the Treasure Valley once again. As a result, all four family members spend their time running the most reliable, friendly, and thorough window cleaning company in the Treasure Valley. At Elliott Window Cleaning, we build trust with each customer and strive to provide an elite experience. For a free, no-obligation quote, call today Call: (208) 600-3154.